Natural remedies to relieve menstrual cramps:
- Using warm castor oil pack on the lower abdomen or lower back during the period.
- Acupuncture is great to prevent cramps and reduce inflammation.
- Exercise is often recommended for better blood circulation.
- Yoga to relax muscles and open up the hips.
- Supplements: magnesium can also help in relaxing muscles.
Looking at the chart below, Chinese medicine identifies 2 dysmenorrhea types (excess and deficiency), depending on the symptoms the woman is experiencing. If you easily feel cold during your menses, then eat cooked food (deficiency type), if you're in pain, but not cold (excess type), then green smoothies maybe your best bet. Also, food high in Essential fatty acid, reduce inflammation, so adding fatty fish such as wild salmon, may also help.